Everybody now uses virtual PCs for SharePoint development.
One of the questions that I get is what do I need to install in that VPC ?
So you will need to arm yourself with all this:
- Windows Server 2008 with SP2 as the next version will only work on this version of the OS
- Microsoft .NET 3.5 Framework with SP1
- SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition or Express Edition and install SP1 on top
- MOSS 2007 with SP1 + MOSS 2007 SP2 (as Microsoft did not released a slipstream version)
or WSS with SP2
or Search Express 2008 + MOSS 2007 SP2
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 + SP2
- WSS SDK v1.5 or MOSS SDK v1.5
- Visual Studio 2008 + SP1
I am recomending the following steps to be taken when installing Visual Studio 2008:
1. Install Visual Studio Team System 2008 Developer Edition
2. Install Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition
3. Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1
4. Install GDR update for Visual Studio 2008 Database Edition
- Team Foundation Server Power Tools is a must have if you are using TFS
- VS extensions for SharePoint v1.2 for some projects
and WSP builder for the rest.
- Fire Fox
- .NET Reflector and Resourcer
- IE Developer Toolbar
- SharePoint Manager 2007
- U2U CAML Builder
Install all these on a VPC and Happy Coding!