What you need to develop in SharePoint 2010
I will start first with the necessary hardware: You will have to invest in a powerful laptop or desktop that will support Hyper-V and a lot of memory I would recommend the minimum to be 8GB of RAM.
On the software side is simple, SharePoint 2010 is much simpler to install than its predecessor due to the available wizards, so just download and install the following:
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 or SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition
- SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint Foundation or Search Server 2010 Express
- Visual Studio 2010
- ADO.NET Data Services Update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (to fix the WCF Data Services)
- SharePoint 2010 Reference: Software Development Kit (May 2010)
- SharePoint 2010 Developer Training Kit
- InfoPath 2010 x64
- SharePoint Designer 2010 x64
- Report Builder 3.0
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint 2010
Install all these on a Hyper-V Virtual Machine and Happy Coding!